Southern California Sign Blog
Here are a few helpful items. Some of LED illumination's potential advantages over neon are:
• LED is less fragile. Neon tubes are much more susceptible to breakage both in transit and during installation.
• LED can mean a lower utility bill for you. LED is a more efficient light source, and the electrical transformer is smaller.
• LED is a more focused light source. An LED module produces a "cone" of light, where neon illumination is emitted from all sides of the neon tube (this can also be a disadvantage for LED, as noted below.)
• Installation of an LED channel letter signs can be easier, as it does not always require conduit on the secondary side.
• LED is a more environmentally friendly product. Neon tubes often contain mercury.
• LED is safer to install, service and maintain. LED is typically powered by 12 volts DC, where neon is powered by 4,000 - 15,000 volts AC. The high voltages required by neon present a significantly higher electrical hazard potential.
However, with all of these differences, neon still has its place. Here is where neon illumination can be better:
• Neon illumination has a certain warm glow that many think LED has yet to match. This is particularly true for reverse and front/back lit channel letter signs. Neon's 360 degree illumination is very easy on the eyes when used with front/back lit letters. LED's focused "light cone" is not as good with these letter types.
• Some custom colors can be better matched with neon. If your client is concerned about a specific color match (such as a logo color), neon may be a better choice.
• Open face channel letter signs still require neon - LED is not yet a viable option.
So, the short answer to "which illumination source is better?" is that it all depends on the project at hand. LED and neon are completely different illumination sources, each with their own advantages and disadvantages.
If you have any questions or for further information, please contact The Sign Studio (818) 843-9200 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are looking for signage or even thinking of adding or replacing new or old signage, prepare a checklist after reviewing our "Letter Visibility Chart?"
Have you ever wondered what the readable distance for maximum impact is? Have you ever wondered what the maximum readable distance is? Is the maximum impact of reading time important to you (length of time letters are readable when moving?) Have you looked over or discussed color combinations that have proven the most effective and the easiest to read?
Remember, a good color selection can dramatically increase readability, especially when at a distance.
Before you make any decisions, please review our "Letter Visibility Chart" and if you are confused or have any questions, please give us a call at The Sign Studio (818) 843-9200 or send us an e-mail at email@example.com. Need Quote.